We are all done, ESXi has been installed and is ready for you to create as many virtual machines as the little NUC powerhouse can handle.
Table Of Contents
This will be a multi-part post, as it covers a lot of topics…
- NUC Specs, and build information,
- Building a custom ESX image that includes drivers for the NUC’s network card and SSD,
- DHCP, PXE booting and automatic installation scripts,
- Synology configuration for VMware datastores,
- Networking, VLANs and getting it to work,
- Installing ESXi
- Any other configuration,
- Final (random) thoughts.
Final (random) thoughts
If you have more than one NUC, and want to setup a vCenter server to learn about clustering, I suggest you follow the amazing blog series by Derek Seaman here. It has a huge amount of information on installing every single aspect of vCenter in such depth that even novices can follow.
If you are into scripting, and want to learn how to script your way around ESXi and vCenter, check out William Lam’s excellent blog.