My home lab uses a Synology Diskstation DS1813+ for its iSCSI storage. It’s used for both the virtual machine storage and any ISO files that I need for the VMs.
Table Of Contents
This will be a multi-part post, as it covers a lot of topics…
- NUC Specs, and build information,
- Building a custom ESX image that includes drivers for the NUC’s network card and SSD,
- DHCP, PXE booting and automatic installation scripts,
- Synology configuration for VMware datastores,
- Networking, VLANs and getting it to work,
- Installing ESXi
- Any other configuration,
- Final (random) thoughts.
Within the Synology DSM, open Storage Manager, and select iSCSI LUN. Click Create and follow the wizard to create a new LUN and iSCSI Target for your VMware datastore.
I have two LUNs and Targerts configured…
- Data – 2Tb for all the virtual machines,
- ISOs – 690Gb for any ISO images